First Steps With Personal Injury Lawyers and Claims
Personal injury lawyers can help people manage the confusion and stress accompanying an accident causing an Injury.
After you begin the process of taking care of your health and the recovery process has begun, identifying personal injury lawyers to assist you is a prudent thing to do. After all, treatment for injuries is expensive and there is usually someone or some organization responsible for your injuries.
Below are some questions often asked by patients and personal injury lawyers.
First Things Personal Injury Lawyers Suggest You Do
The first thing to do is what is best for your health.
After you have your injury attended to, there are a number of steps to take to help preserve your right to file a claim. These steps are appropriate in most situations and can be done in any order in Beloit WI. However, if you are filing a claim against the government or a government agency, be sure to contact personal injury lawyers to outline other specific steps. Be sure to do the following –
- Collect all of the evidence possible to help show who or what caused the accident and what damage was caused by the accident. Personal injury lawyers suggest you collect photos whenever possible.
- Start a log of everything that has happened since the accident including medical bills, hospital visits, any lost work or wages, etc.
- Gather the names and contact information of accident witnesses. Confirm their contact information so you will have it available for personal injury lawyers.
- Make notes of conversations with other people related to the accident – those involved and witnesses.
- Tell everyone related to your injury you intend to file a claim for injuries and property damage.
- Do not give a statement to the insurance company – it is best to have your personal injury lawyers communicate on your behalf
Notifying A Person You Are Filing a Claim For Personal Injury
In Wisconsin you have 3 years from the date of accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. (In Illinois, it is 2 years). However, sooner is better as a general practice. Acting quickly and efficiently, will increase your chances of resolving your claim more quickly in Beloit WI. Our personal injury lawyers are skilled and experienced at managing the entire process of filing claims.
Time Limits For Filing Personal Injury
Settling a personal injury claim can be very time consuming. If a claim is not filed in a timely manner, you may not be able to collect any compensation. Statutes of limitations outline the maximum time allowed to bring certain types of lawsuits. If this time period is missed, you may be barred from ever bringing suit to recover for your personal injuries. You should always check on your state’s statute of limitations for your type of claim to ensure that the time period does not pass you by.
Understanding Personal Injury Legal Options
Personal Injury claims from a car accident or a slip and fall can be done by the injured party. However, most defendants, especially businesses, will have legal representation. To best protect your rights, having your own personal injury lawyers in Beloit WI is practical way to proceed.
Monahan and Johnson S.C. in Beloit WI are experienced personal injury lawyers and are ready to assist you in navigating the personal injury recovery process.
Monahan and Johnson S.C. offers free initial consultations to Beloit and Janesville WI area residents. You can meet one-on-one with our experienced personal injury lawyers.
Call or email Tom Johnson today at 608-362-8086 for more insight about how to protect your rights using personal injury lawyers in Beloit WI.